Monday, September 20, 2010

KCWC Day 1

So today was Kids Clothes Week Challenge Day 1 over at Elsie Marley. I wanted to sew early this morning but I fought with my machine for about an hour instead trying to figure out why it was jamming. The problems: first I threaded the machine wrong (wow I am ashamed to say that), I'm going to blame it on lack of sleep rather than too many years away from sewing, and second I was using the wrong kind of stitch for stretchy fabric. Genius, I know.

Anyways, I finally got my hour of sewing in tonight, with B sitting practically on top of me trying to figure out what I was doing. I took a stab at the Creative Maven's Child's Visor Beanie tutorial using some blue fleece fabric I found in the closet. First mistake: I sewed two whole triangles together, like I was making a mitten instead of a hat. After I un-stitched that, I accidentally basted the visor too high on the hat, I had the points touching the bottom, then tried to sew the two inch strip on, needless to say that didn't work so well. I finally got it fixed and applied the first layer of fabric paint. I'm putting a guitar on each side of the hat. It was meant for D but I might have to give it to A instead since I think I somehow lost some of the diameter and I have a feeling it is going to be too small. I'll get a picture tomorrow once both sides of the freezer paper stenciling have dried. After my disaster of a sewing adventure today I'm still deciding what to try tomorrow. I don't know how I used to sew figure skating dresses without any problems when I couldn't even make a simple hat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment